Romelu Lukaku and 9 Most Expensive Striker in the Premier League
Romelu Lukaku has completed the transfer from Everton to Manchester United on Monday (07/10/2017). According to Transfermarkt, the club’s second deal reached 85 million euros (about Rp 1.3 trillion).
That number led Lukaku to become the most expensive striker throughout the history of the Premier League, the first caste of the English League.
The previous record was held by Anthony Martial, who was rewarded 60 million euros when anchored at Old Trafford in the summer of 2015.
Only, the expensive price is not a guarantee of success for strikers in the Premier League. Just look at Martial’s gait. After becoming the club’s top scorer in his first season, he was under the shadow of Zlatan Ibrahimovic entering his second year.
Only four goals and six assists donated by the French striker in the Premier League 2016-2017.
Martial’s gait also confirmed the trend of a number of other expensive English League strikers. There are still Fernando Torres, Christian Benteke, Andy Carroll, and Michy Batshuayi in the top ten list.
It is difficult to give a successful predicate to the four names looking at each goal record. Moreover for Benteke and Batshuayi which ends as a bench warmer.
Can not be concluded also that Lukaku will add to the list of failed expensive striker in the Premier League. Tucked into a number of names that are quite successful.
They are Didier Drogba and Diego Costa. By releasing each of 38 million euros, Chelsea reap sharp performance from both.
Not only show sharpness, Drogba and Costa also had won the Premier League trophy with the team beralanas The Blues.
So, who reference Lukaku, Torres or Drogba? Just the number of goals that can answer it.
Here is a list of the ten most expensive strikers in the history of the Premier League:
1. Romelu Lukaku, Manchester United, 85 million euros (just joined in 2017)
2. Anthony Martial, Manchester United, 65 million euros (25 goals from 91 matches)
3. Fernando Torres, Chelsea, 58.5 million euros (48 goals from 182 matches)
4. Alexandre Lacazette, Arsenal, 53 million euros (newly joined in 2017)
5. Christian Benteke, Liverpool, 46.5 million euros (10 goals from 42 matches)
6. Andriy Shevchenko, Chelsea, 43.3 million euros (22 goals from 77 matches)
7. Andy Carroll, Liverpool, 41 million euros (11 goals from 58 matches)
8. Michy Batshuayi, Chelsea, 39 million eur0 (9 goals from 28 matches)
9. Didier Drogba, Chelsea, 38.5 million euros (170 goals from 389 games)
10. Diego Costa, Chelsea, 38 million euros (58 goals from 120 matches)